Build highly scalable C# and Visual Basic .NET applications for SQL Server, Oracle, DB/2, or MySQL databases
In this hands–on guide, two working developers reveal how to build highly scalable database applications on the Microsoft .NET Framework. Drawing on years of real–world experience, Wally McClure and John Croft explain how to engineer a scalable system, from balancing performance tradeoffs to pinpointing potential bottlenecks. They give you a succinct overview of C# and Visual Basic .NET and describe how these languages work together with ASP.NET, Windows services, components, MSMQ, and ADO.NET. They disclose scalability secrets for storing and retrieving data and processing transactions. And finally, they demonstrate how to access data and optimize performance with four leading RDBMS–SQL Server, Oracle, DB/2, and MySQL. Packed with practical tips and code examples, this one–of–a–kind book is your ticket to .NET database application success.
You'll learn how to:
* Get a handle on C# and Visual Basic .NET innovations
* Take advantage of ASP.NET and IIS scalability features
* Manage scalability issues in database design and transaction processing
* Get a grip on ADO.NET performance factors
* Work with .NET components and integrate COM applications
* Master the ins and outs of threading, services, and MSMQ
* Tailor applications to SQL Server, Oracle, DB/2, or MySQL databases
* Overcome typical problems and bottlenecks on each specific RDBMS
Wallace B. McClure is the owner of McClure Development, which specializes in developing highly scalable client/server and Web–based applications. The firm's clients have included Lucent Technologies, the State of Tennessee, and a major Internet portal. He holds a Master's degree in electrical engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology, with a specialization in computer architectures and digital signal processing.
John J. Croft IV is President of AtlantaProgramming.com, which focuses on custom database solutions for medium–to–large enterprises. His projects have included applications for inventory control, production management, performance evaluation, and executive information systems as well as satellite telemetry, car wash control, lithotripter control, and kidney stone treatment.